Firm Profile

Design Philosophy

The Staff


Residential Inspirations

Commercial Creations

Historic Preservations

Custom Made

Relate With Us



Constructed in 1894, the building housed a wholesale grocery business and was owned by A.C. Egerter who served as mayor of Wheeling. The project involved the cooperation of The Community Development Block Grant program and The Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation as well as private investment. The dominant features of the building were identified and reinforced while ensuring the building’s future longevity. The project was a cooperative effort between Kayafas Architects and our preservation consultants, Heritage Architectural Associates, and was completed in 1999.

The storefront level had undergone many adaptations through the years. Portions of the most recent storefront and signboard were removed to expose the arches in their entirety. New cast stone bases and awnings were replicated to complete the composition. Cooperation between the building owner, tenants and the grantor was paramount to the successful outcome.